Nopales are the fleshy pads of the prickly-pear cactus.
Here in NC, we can buy them in the grocery store (food lion) as:
- whole pads in the produce section, or
- jars of de-thorned, thinly sliced strips in water with a few pearl onions (mexican food section)
- preheat pizza stone
- brush pizza dough with olive oil
- pour a layer of salsa verde (tomatillo sauce),
- add shredded nopales, sliced tomatillos*, mushrooms,
- cover with a white cheese,
- toss some cornmeal on the hot stone
- then bake.
serve with jarritos grapefruit (pomelo) soda or negra modelo
* tomatillos look like green tomatoes but have a papery outer skin or husk. remove the husk. they're sticky to touch and tart in flavor.